- Training & Exercise
Podcast 239: Maximizing Your Training Outside of the Gym with Todd Anderson
Training hard isn't the only way to see fitness gains. Entrepreneur and human performance coach Todd Anderson joins the WHOOP Podcast this week to share his top recommendations on how to build (and maintain) an ideal lifestyle if you're looking to perform at your best.
This week, WHOOP VP of Performance Science, Principal Scientist, Kristen Holmes is joined by Todd Anderson. Todd is an entrepreneur, former collegiate athlete, and human performance coach who founded Dream Recovery, Synergy Dryland, a training program for world-class swimmers, and the Rideout Strong marathon training program. As a former walk on to the Michigan State University football team, he understands the importance of optimizing performance across every spectrum, and as a result, holds over a dozen certifications in Strength and Conditioning, Nutrition, and Performance. Kristen and Todd discuss how lifestyle behaviors, including sleep, mindset, and contrast therapy, can help unlock better training and optimal performance.
Want to see your questions answered? Email us – Podcast@whoop.com – or you can call our listener line (508-443-4952) and leave a voicemail, and your question might be answered on a future episode.
- 3:15 - Todd’s passion for sport and performance
- 8:45 - Todd becoming a walk-on at Michigan State
- 13:25 - Training athletes with injuries today
- 15:20 - Using data to contextualize how you are feeling
- 18:25 - Incorporating sleep and recovery into athletic training
- 24:42 - Breathing protocols and breathwork
- 27:48 - Mouth tape and the impact on performance
- 31:28 - Keeping people motivated while changing behaviors
- 34:26 - The opportunities around sleep studies
- 45:50 - Recovery and preparation
- 48:40 - Sauna and cold plunge
- 54:35 - How Todd thinks about nutrition
- 59:28 - Todd’s training non-negotiables