- Mental Health
- Member Stories
Podcast 235: Jason Kander: A Story of Service, Mental Health, PTSD, and Recovery
Before Jason Kander became Missouri's Secretary of State, he suffered from untreated post-traumatic stress disorder. He is making it his personal mission to normalize treating mental health the same as physical health, and he shares more on his personal wellness journey.
This week, Will Ahmed, Founder and CEO of WHOOP, is joined on the WHOOP Podcast by former Missouri Secretary of State Jason Kander. Before becoming a politician, Jason served in the United States Army, achieving the rank of Captain during his service as a military intelligence officer in Afghanistan. Jason joins the podcast to share more on his career, how his years of service affected his mental health, how he has prioritized his recovery, and how he uses WHOOP to perform at his best.
Want to see your questions answered on future episode? Email us – Podcast@whoop.com – or you can call our listener line (508-443-4952) and leave a voicemail, and your question might be answered on a future episode.
- 3:12 - Jason’s decision to join the military
- 5:10 - Life in Afghanistan
- 13:25 - Jason’s daily routine in the service
- 15:50 - Dealing with and talking about PTSD
- 25:10 - What led him to take the first step and get help
- 30:10 - Dealing with suicidal thoughts and therapy
- 36:45 - Using meditation
- 38:28 - How Jason uses WHOOP
- 46:55 - Jason’s political career and life today
- 56:55 - Jason’s book and his podcast