- Women’s Performance
Episode 211: Women, Aging & Menopause with Dr. Jessica Shepherd
This week, we're joined by OB/GYN Dr. Jessica Shepherd to discuss all things menopause, from what it means to be perimenopausal to postmenopausal, and how to understand the aging process.
Aging is inevitable. For women, aging comes with a major hormonal shift -- menopause. The topic societally has been taboo to discuss, but Dr. Jessica Shepherd, OB/GYN, women's health expert, and member of the WHOOP Scientific Advisory Council, sits down to discuss the effects it has on women's bodies, how to understand and manage symptoms, and why it's been a taboo subject for many. This is a conversation for everyone -- Dr. Shepherd shares more about why men should learn about menopause, and for our female listeners, it's a critical conversation to understand how hormones play a lifelong role in female physiology and the aging process. Want to see your questions answered? Email us – Podcast@whoop.com – or you can call our listener line (508-443-4952) and leave a voicemail, and your question might be answered on a future episode.
- 5:55 - Why men should listen to this podcast
- 8:10 - What is actually happening in the body during menopause
- 11:15 - The timing of entering menopause
- 13:15 - The hallmark symptoms of menopause
- 17:00 - Advice on getting good sleep when experiencing symptoms
- 22:25 - Hormone replacement therapy
- 28:05 - How to detect whether you are in perimenopause
- 33:15 - Nutritional tips and behavioral recommendations
- 40:40 - Understanding mindsets and habits
- 46:55 - Health risks associated with being postmenopausal
- 54:25 - What it means to say women are in their "prime"
- 58:25 - The women’s health space over the next 10 years
Resources:Verywell Health Dr. Shepherd on Instagram Sanctum Med + Wellness on Instagram NY Times Article: Women Have Been Misled About Menopause