Podcast 213: A Sleep Scientist's Guide to Better Sleep Habits with Dr. Allison Brager
Sleep is the foundation of good health. This week, we sit down with sleep scientist and WHOOP Scientific Advisory Council member Dr. Allison Brager on her expert-backed tips for better sleep.
With World Sleep Day on March 17, we're dedicating this episode to all things sleep. From sleep debt, to understanding sleep performance, to how light affects sleep quality, we're getting an expert's opinion on how to get better shut eye. Dr. Allison Brager, neurobiologist and member of the WHOOP Scientific Advisory Council, joins VP of Performance Kristen Holmes to break down the most essential behavior for unlocking human performance. Want to see your questions answered? Email us – Podcast@whoop.com – or you can call our listener line (508-443-4952) and leave a voicemail, and your question might be answered on a future episode.
- 3:07 - NCAA handbook and sleep for NCAA student-athletes
- 8:35 - WHOOP member sleep statistics
- 12:33 - The proper framework to maximize sleep performance
- 16:05 - What happens when sleep performance is poor
- 19:10 - How to effectively lower sleep debt
- 21:35 - Behaviors to advance and delay your sleep onset
- 27:00 - The impact of light before bed
- 32:55 - Myths around sleep
- 35:47 - How to get a good night’s sleep and how to prep during the day
- 40:30 - Taking the perfect nap
- 44:00 - Practicing Yoga Nidra
- 47:05 - Sharing a bed with a partner or pet
- 48:50 - Sleep tourism