Dr. Stacy Sims is an internationally recognized exercise physiologist and nutrition scientist who is revolutionizing exercise nutrition and performance science for women and has dedicated her career to female athlete health. She sits down with VP of Performance Kristen Holmes to talk about the different nutritional and training needs for women throughout the course of their life all the way through menopause. From fueling considerations to different styles of training, Dr. Sims’ episode is a must-listen for any female athlete.
Want to see your questions answered? Email us – Podcast@whoop.com – or you can call our listener line (508-443-4952) and leave a voicemail, and your question might be answered on a future episode.
- 5:10 – The differences in strength for men and women
- 7:10 – Coaches and parents talking to young girls about puberty
- 12:15 – Training throughout the menstrual cycle
- 15:38 – Maintaining fuel and energy during the luteal phase
- 18:40 – Psychological impact of the menstrual cycle
- 21:50 – Behaviors people can adopt to stay balanced
- 26:11 – What kind of training modalities should someone focus on during each phase
- 28:52 – Reprioritizing how we train when women reach perimenopause and post menopause
- 31:51 – Different training techniques and when to do them
- 36:53 – Protein need and intake
- 38:30 – Training during the various stages of menopause
- 42:25 – Staying active during a chaotic travel schedule
- 46:13 – Outlining health risks and other factors
TEDx Talk: Women are Not Small Men