BOSTON, MA – November 15, 2016 – WHOOP, the human performance optimization company, today announced the official opening of its online store, get.whoop.com and the public availability of the WHOOP Performance Optimization System to anyone who wants to train and recover like an elite athlete. Until now, the system was only available through select pre-orders and to professional and collegiate athletes and trainers, Olympians, and the United States military. In anticipation of a record-breaking holiday shopping season, WHOOP has already begun shipping pre-orders to customers one month ahead of schedule, and supplying their elite athletes with the latest version of the system which includes the WHOOP Strap 2.0. Customers can place their orders by Thursday, December 1 to ensure guaranteed delivery by December 24.
WHOOP has created the first scientifically-grounded system engineered for the 24-hour athlete and designed for continuous wear that provides athletes with the data needed to reduce injuries and enhance peak performance. The WHOOP Strap 2.0’s lightweight, waterproof and screenless design is worn on the wrist or forearm, and automatically measures and analyzes your strain, recovery and sleep. When paired with the WHOOP Strap, the WHOOP mobile and web app provides physiological data, analysis and actionable recommendations that help athletes tailor their training, improve their sleep and maximize performance.
“We founded WHOOP with the mission to unlock human performance. We believe that everyone has an inner potential that can be unlocked through measuring secrets that your body is trying to tell you. These are secrets that before WHOOP, no one could monitor,” said Will Ahmed, Founder and CEO of WHOOP. “The early response to the WHOOP System has been incredible. I’m proud of our team at WHOOP for delivering the product ahead of time to our first customers, who are looking to train and recover like an elite athlete. The reality today is that athletes at every level overtrain, get fatigued, and sustain injuries. WHOOP is committed to solve these problems and enhance your performance.”
The second generation of the system incorporates an expansion of technological capabilities that finally provides athletes with the insights needed to find their competitive advantage through accurate data, including:
- 5 Key Measurements are measured more than 100 times per second, including:
- Heart rate—Tracking and accurately reporting instantaneous heart rate
- Heart rate variability (HRV)—First-of-its kind method for automatically analyzing, while you are asleep, the tiniest variations in time between beats of your resting heart rate, providing detailed insights into the complex relationship of stresses on the body, cardiovascular health, and recovery
- Ambient temperature—Combining observation of the environment in which you’re active with other sensor data to better understand your body’s response
- Motion via 3-axis accelerometer—Knowing when and how you’re moving to understand not only your activity level but also refining the heart rate signal during exercise and providing insights into sleep quality
- On/off wrist detection via capacitive touch sensor—Monitors your skin moisture, helping understand activity and sleep latency
- Personalized Strain, Sleep and Recovery Analyses are calculated automatically and at critical moments throughout the day:
- Strain informs you about the level of strain on your body and what it means
- Sleep Performance evaluates the hours of quality sleep you got in relationship to the sleep you needed including the time spent in each sleep stage, the time it takes to fall asleep, and the number of disturbances during the night
- Recovery is calculated after each sleep and measures the body’s readiness for strain or exertion
- Auto-Detection of Sleep and Day Strain provides a simplified and seamless analysis of sleep and strain throughout the day without requiring any input from the user. The app also includes the ability to track running and cycling routes, offering a map of the completed route and data on distance and speed
- Unique On-Wrist Charging System to ensure always-on, continuous wear and features a rechargeable, li-ion battery that gives the wearer a 44 hour battery life for typical use
- On-strap data storage of 3 days feature to guarantee performance data and analysis is never lost over extended periods of training or travel
- Waterproof strap up to 3 ATM for the most intense water-training and swim workouts
Among the first to receive the latest version of the WHOOP system is the University of Connecticut Men’s Basketball Team. WHOOP is working with teams across the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, and the English Premier League. Olympic teams, trainers and some of the world’s most elite athletes are also using the WHOOP system, including members of the 2016 NBA Champion Cleveland Cavaliers and 2016 World Series Champion Chicago Cubs. At the collegiate level, WHOOP is being used in all major conferences, including the SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, Big 12, and the Ivy League.
"If you desire to become a better athlete, then not only do you need to train smarter, but you need to recover more efficiently,” said Travis Illian, Strength and Conditioning Coach for UCONN Men’s Basketball. “WHOOP is a powerful tool to help the athlete understand how their body is responding to training and other lifestyle stressors."
WHOOP Performance Optimization System $500.00 MSRP
- WHOOP Strap 2.0 with three straps to choose from to personalize your WHOOP experience:
- Nanostretch — Woven fabric, highly stretchable and extremely breathable. Underside features nanotechnology that grips the skin, keeping the band in place. Perfect for sleep and everyday wear.
- Hydroband — Sturdy nylon braid. Less flexible, but strong, breathable and dries fast. Perfect for water-based workouts like swimming, but also great for everyday wear.
- Truman — This extremely rugged, straight-weaved nylon strap is similar to a traditional NATO watch strap, which was first commissioned by the British Ministry of Defense (MOD) in 1973. Its combination of durability and style has stood the test of time.
- Battery Pack
- Mini-USB Cable
- Travel Pack
- 1-Year Warranty
To purchase the WHOOP Performance Optimization System and to learn more, please visit whoop.com.
WHOOP is the first scientifically grounded performance optimization system worn by the most elite athletes in the world to positively change behavior and unlock peak performance. WHOOP provides individuals, teams, and their coaches and trainers with a continuous understanding of strain and recovery to balance training, reduce injuries, and predict performance. To learn more about the system being used by professional and collegiate athletes, Olympians, and the United States military, please visit https://www.whoop.com.